Sometimes it’s called a “Honeydo” list. You know the one—”Honey, can you unclog the drain?” or “Honey, can you fix the roof?” It’s hard to ignore the Honeydo list, but it is essential. Why? Because keeping up with maintenance on your home is a lot cheaper than fixing it when something goes wrong.
Your home may be the biggest investment you will ever make, and even though you’d rather be watching the game or playing golf, maintenance is a necessary evil. It’s the best way to ensure it keeps its value and ensures it will provide a comfortable, safe shelter for you and your family for a long time.
Here is a quick home maintenance quiz that will test your knowledge on what needs to be done around your home. While this quiz does not address every home maintenance project, it does provide helpful tips and reminders for chores you may have overlooked.
Can’t be bothered to do these? Call us—we’re happy to help you with the maintenance on your home. We don’t just do restoration work, we also do remodeling and construction for residences and businesses. Make sure the work gets done right so your “honey” can be happy that chore is off the list!
1. How often do forced-air furnace filters need to be changed?
At least every three months during the cold season.
2. What part of the faucet usually needs to be replaced when you have a water leak?
The washer. If that doesn’t fix the leak, call us.
3. Should you run hot or cold water through your garbage disposal?
Cold water. If your garbage disposal leaks, call us immediately! You can develop a mold issue very quickly.
4. How often should the moving parts of garage doors be oiled?
Every three months.
5. What tools can you use to unclog your drains?
A plunger and a plumber’s snake.
6. What tool can be used to unclog a toilet?
Coil spring-steel auger.
7. What faucet part needs to be cleaned every three to four months?
The aerator—the screen inside the end of the faucet.
8. Where should the fire in your fireplace be built?On the andirons or grate, never on the fireplace floor.
9. What will prevent soot and add color to the fire in your fireplace?
Throw in a handful of salt.
10. Where should your firewood be stored?
Outside, away from your house and not directly on the ground.
11. What helps keep unpainted concrete floors easy to keep clean?
Concrete sealant and stain, available in many colors.
12. What should you use to clean unpainted concrete floors?
A solution of 4 to 6 tablespoons of baking soda in a gallon of hot water. Mix scouring powder to the solution for tough jobs.
13. When can you clean hardwood floors with water?
When the floors have a polyurethane finish.
14. Do hardwood floors need to be waxed?
Hardwood floors that do not have a polyurethane finish probably will need to be waxed periodically. Check with the manufacturer to make sure you use the correct cleaning product.
15. What is the best polish for vinyl floors?
Water emulsion wax.
16. Why should noisy water pipes be fixed promptly?
The condition that causes noisy pipes may be accompanied by vibration that can cause fittings to loosen and leak.
17. How often should your roof be inspected?
A qualified roofer should inspect your roof every three years. But in certain instances you should have them checked immediately, like after the windstorms in late 2011.
18. What should be regularly checked on your security system?
The alarms and circuit breakers should be checked to make sure they are in working order and the sensors should be inspected one by one.
19. To ensure your safety, what household equipment use batteries that must be checked regularly to make sure they are operable?
Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, although there is a law that requires new homes to have them wired in. Also, there are smoke and carbon monoxide detectors with lithium batteries with a 10-year guaranteed life, and ones that can be wired or plugged in.
20. What do you use to fill nail holes and cracks in plaster walls and gypsum wallboard?
21. What is the white powdery substance that develops on masonry walls?
Efflorescence sometimes appears on masonry walls. It is crystallized soluble salts that can be removed by scrubbing with water and a stiff brush.
22. At what temperature should your water heater be set?
120 degrees Fahrenheit. And check to make sure that your water heater is properly installed—that is extremely important in California with our earthquakes.
23. How often do skylights need to be inspected?
Skylights should be inspected each time your roof is inspected so leaks don’t develop from cracks and interruptions around its seals, caulking and flashings. If you find a leak, call us.
24. What is a simple solution you can use to wash extremely dirty exterior windows?
A solution of equal parts vinegar and water or 3 tablespoons of denatured alcohol per quart of warm water. Use a piece of crumpled newspaper to wash the glass to avoid lint left behind by papertowels. And no, we don’t do windows (unless we’re finishing off a remodel!).
25. What can you use to help a window slide easily?
Rub the channel with a piece of paraffin.