You might overlook that little black patch growing in the corner of your room, thinking that it is harmless. We all want to believe that our homes are safe dwellings, but what you might not know is that little black patch could be mold, proliferating before your very eyes and sprouting health risks in your home. Yes, that little black patch could make your home a very unhealthy place.
Mold exists everywhere, both indoors and outdoors. We are exposed to mold daily, and it is virtually impossible to live in a completely mold-free setting. However, it is the prolonged and excessive exposure to mold that can lead to serious health issues.
How do you know whether or not you’re getting sick from mold? Common symptoms of mold exposure include skin irritations and rashes. People will also begin to experience chronic respiratory problems, difficulty breathing, blurry vision, runny noses and irritable throat problems. More severe allergic symptoms include headaches, fever, headaches, vomiting and dizziness. However, it doesn’t stop there. Mold releases toxic spores into the air which, when ingested, can exacerbate existing allergies or respiratory conditions. Even worse, mold spores can attack one’s immune system! Yes, what looks like a harmless patch on your wall can potentially damage your liver, blood and kidneys and even your brain. Mold has even caused death, infecting infants’ lungs and causing respiratory bleeding. Children, the elderly and generally anyone with a lower immune system are at higher risks of health problems from mold.
So how does mold even get into your house in the first place? Mold needs a moist and damp environment to grow in, so if your house has had flooding or leaking problems in the past, take caution. Even if you don’t spot obvious signs of mold breeding all over your walls, they could still very well be growing inside your walls or behind the ceiling, where you can’t see it. The best way to prevent mold is to make sure that all sources of moisture—leaking pipes, clogged gutters, etc.—are taken care of accordingly.
If you do encounter mold in your home, don’t try to rectify the problem yourself. Without experience, you could aggravate the mold, causing it to release even more dangerous toxins in the air. Instead, call up your local water damage and water damage restoration company in the Inland Empire. We can help you eradicate mold and make your home a cleaner, safer place. Call us now: 877-732-8471